If your product does not have a product ID, also called a GTIN (Global Trade Item Number), you might be eligible to request a GTIN exemption.
First, check the Amazon catalog to see if the product already exists. If the product matches an existing product, you can add an offer on the existing product detail page without a GTIN. However, if your product does not match an existing product, you have to request a GTIN exemption and then add your product.
How to request a GTIN exemption
Before you apply, you have to make sure you have the following:
Product name and a minimum of two (and maximum of nine) images showing all sides of your product and the packaging of the product. Ensure the guidelines below are met:
- The brand name entered during the application process should be an exact match to the brand name available on the product or packaging.
- Images should be real-world photos of the products and packaging, meaning the product and packaging need to be held or placed on a table while taking the photo.
- Branding is permanently affixed on the packaging or product.
- Products should not have a GS1-approved barcode available on the product or packaging of the product. If a GS1-approved barcode is available, you can use it to list products instead of applying for a GTIN exemption.
- Product name and a minimum of two (and maximum of nine) images showing all sides of your product and the packaging of the product. Ensure the guidelines below are met:
Once you have the product images, you should follow the steps below to apply for a GTIN exemption.
- Go to Catalog > Add Products, and select the I'm adding a product not sold on Amazon. Choose the category and product type for which you want to request a GTIN exemption.
- In the Product Identity section, in the Brand name field, enter the brand name. For unbranded items and bundles, select This product does not have a brand name checkbox.
- Next, select the I don't have a Product ID checkbox and click Continue. If an exemption is required the ‘GTIN exemption application’ link will surface.
- Click Apply now and complete the application form. If your product is not eligible for exemption, you will not be able to continue further.
- Click Submit.
You will receive an email within 48 hours regarding the approval status of the request. Alternatively, they can check the status of the request in the case log.
During the application process, you may encounter some errors (e.g. Error 5665, Error 5461, Match Only Error) Please refer to the Amazon Help Center for each error for more information on the error and how to resolve it.
Watch this video to learn more about adding listings after getting the GTIN exemption: