Tip: If you already have existing products fulfilled with another print-on-demand supplier and would like to move them to Gelato, please refer to this article instead.
Adding Gelato products to Shopify
1. First, log in to your Shopify account (or create a new one), go to the Shopify App Store, and search for Gelato: Print on demand. Then click on Add app and follow the steps to install it. If you are already a Gelato user, you will just need to log in. Otherwise, you can create a new free Gelato account in the blink of an eye!
2. In your Gelato account, go to Stores and choose the store for which you want to add a new product (you can connect multiple e-commerce stores to the same Gelato account!). Then click on Add product - this will take you to our Product Catalog where you will find all the products and product combinations we currently offer.
3. Select a product category, e.g. "Framed posters" and a product, e.g. "Classic Matte Paper Wooden Framed Poster" - this will open our editor.
4. All the available variants are shown on the left. Let's say, for example, that you want to make your design available in 2 variants based on size, both horizontal and both with a black frame: 30x40cm and 50x70cm. The chosen variants are now shown on the right.
5. Then upload your design by clicking on Add new > Add image. Once the image is uploaded it will appear in your Gallery on the left. Click on it to add it to your product.
6. You can further customize the design according to your needs by selecting the image and using the controls on the menu at the top the make changes.
7. You can add multiple images or text or even use some of our layouts. From the menu on the right, you can also decide whether you want to apply the same changes to all the variants you selected or only to some of them. This is very helpful if you are adding variants that are very different from each other and might require individual adjustments. Once you are happy with your design, click on Continue.
8. On the next page, you can choose how you want these products to be displayed on your Shopify store. Gelato offers a wide range of scenes you can choose from to make your designs look stunning and realistic in your store. At the top, you can select the different mockup styles. At the bottom, you will see how these styles are applied to the variants you are uploading. You can choose what the main product image is going to be as well as the mockup style used for the variants.
Note: Please remember that in Shopify a variant can only have one image that will be in the same mockup style as the main product image.
You can also choose whether to add the mockups as PNGs - which are bigger but transparent files - or JPGs - which are smaller and will make your pages load faster. More info on mockups can be found here.
9. On the next page, you will be able to specify the product details, including the following:
- Product title and description to show to your customers - By default, you will see the product name and description as in our product catalog
- Tags to add to this product
- Whether to add the product to a collection. Please note that you will be able to add the product only to a manual collection.
- Select whether the product should be published directly or added as a draft
- Offer free shipping for this product - in this case, the product will be automatically assigned to a Gelato free shipping profile
Then click on Continue.
10. The last thing to do before you publish this product to your Shopify store is to define the price you want to sell it for. On this page, you will see both the Gelato price (which is what Gelato will charge you for this product) as well as the recommended retail price (which is what we suggest you charge your customers for this product). You can always change the profit using the dedicated controls. Once you are happy with the prices, don’t forget to publish the product by clicking Publish at the top-right corner.
Note: Please remember that that the Gelato price is for the product only and does not include shipping or applicable taxes.
11. If you go back to Shopify and click on Products, you will find the product you just published.
12. Your product is now available to be purchased from your Shopify store. Let the orders flow and Gelato will take care of printing and shipping to your customer!