Posters are one of our most popular product categories. They are a great and flexible product that can be adapted to many different cases.
We currently offer posters in 30+ formats (both in inches and centimeters) and 4 paper types to allow you to pick and choose what you want to offer to your customers. You can find all the formats and product combinations we offer in our Product Catalogue.
1. Choose your paper
The first step is to decide which paper to offer for your posters. What paper to choose depends entirely on you and your designs. We always recommend placing some test orders to see how your designs look on different papers and to ensure you get the effect you want.
There are currently 4 different paper options for our posters:
- Classic matte paper (or Uncoated 170gsm / 65lb cover)
- Premium matte paper (or Uncoated 200gsm / 80lb cover)
- Classic semi-glossy paper (or Coated silk 170gsm / 65lb cover)
- Premium semi-glossy paper (or Coated silk 200gsm / 80lb cover)
The only difference between "Classic" and "Premium" paper is the thickness while you can read more about the difference between matte and semi-glossy paper here.
Note: If you are unsure between gsm and lb equivalence, we've got you covered! Gelato will automatically convert the paper to gsm or lb depending on the destination country where your order is going to.
2. Select the formats
Once you have decided which paper to use, it's time to select the different formats in which you want to offer your designs, what in Shopify is called variants and in Etsy variations.
We currently offer posters in more than 30 different formats, both in inches - for the North American market - and in centimeters - for the rest of the World.
Note: As for the paper, you don't need to worry about which format you choose - Gelato will automatically convert between inches and centimeters depending on the destination country of your order.
Tip: If you are unsure which formats to choose, we recommend looking at formats that are mostly used in the wall-art space, in particular those formats that can potentially support a matching frame, e.g. 30x40cm / 12x16in, 50x70cm / 20x28in and 70x100cm / 28x40in.
3. Add a frame (or a hanger)
Frames (and hangers) are a great addition to your posters, e.g. if you want to upsell the frame to increase your AOV (Average Order Value) or offer the option to your customers to choose posters with and without frames.
There are 3 main strategies you can use here:
1. Offer 2 separate products in your store: "Poster only" and "Framed poster", each in multiple formats - example:
- Product "Poster only" in the following variants:
- Product "Framed poster" in the following variants:
2. Offer 1 product where the frame and format become the 2 options to define a variant - example:
- Product "Poster" in the following variants:
- 30x40cm - no frame
- 40x50cm - no frame
- 30x40cm - black wooden frame
- 40x50cm - black wooden frame
3. Use one of the many Shopify apps to set up upselling in your store, i.e. recommend a matching frame in addition to a poster during checkout
We currently offer frames (and hangers) for many of the poster formats we offer. You can find all the formats and combinations available in our Product Catalogue in different product categories:
- Frames only: If you are interested in the frame only
- Hangers only: If you are interested in the hangers only
- Framed posters: if you are interested in bundling a poster with a matching frame - please note that the poster and the frame come together but unmounted
Frames are available in 3 wood colors and 4 metal colors and hangers are available in wood in 3 colors.
When it comes to posters, we use different packaging (either flat, tube, tube with shipping roll or triangular/rectangular box) depending on the size of the poster as well as the country where the item is produced and shipped to.
This is based on our experience shipping millions of orders worldwide and it is supported by our customer feedback which have helped us define the most efficient and damage-resistant ways to package our products to ensure compliance with local shipping requirements as well as the lowest damage rate.